Tuesday, December 31, 2019

2010 to 2019, a decade in review

Recalling a year is in itself is a task and yet here I am trying to unbox a decade full of memories and then I will say why not? Isn’t it a story to tell. To come around how much you have evolved, how much you went through and how different you are to the person you were then.

The only similarity I would have of when I started this decade and this day is, I still remain a student and that I am at home on this date. But this journey from student to a student also is filled with being employed, serving across different geographies, going places and meeting people.

Well I started off the decade as an engineering grad in my penultimate year of studies. Learning to look ‘cool’ and growing long hair was an easier option. That and the next year brought me to my knees to realize that hard work did matter and it would pay off.

2011 to 2013 had been probably most tumultuous, got down to being an employed citizen and started in construction sites for about 2 years to resign and prepare for a ‘better future’. Cut off myself from friends just to do so and ended up landing an opportunity for a Masters and a service with the Government. As luck would have it, rather y laziness would have it, I did go on for the job offer.

2013 to 2018 these 5 years were of such learning experience that I couldn’t even imagine. To serve at various places, solving myriad issues and coming across such a wide gamut of people was an eye-opener. It did feel like that I had arrived and there wasn’t any more to go forward. But, still got hold of a camera and started learning the art, and I am at it still. Gifted a car to my father, traveled to places and worked to make some people realize their dreams. I know not how much I feature in their prayers but yes, the recollection of such memories does give me joy.

Driving through non-notified highways to get home quicker at night, to facing wild elephants and long gossips with policemen on highway checkpoints. Freshest of teas, budding gardens, tastiest rasgullas in the borders of Assam, the boiled pork at Arunachal and what not and faking the top speed of the car to make a co passenger afraid.

The advent of 2018 however brought in some realization, that had I arrived, or did I need more, and to see someone close move to an institute for studies spurred me, to go and start preparing for being a student, working around to prepare for CAT, do my duties, and hope for the best only to doze off during the exam.

Thankfully I did manage to clear the examination and sneaked out to Kolkata to appear for interviews while my friends knew of them to be dating trips (dating was a long-gone activity). Nonetheless, I did manage to get through.

2019 brought in the biggest decision for me, to leave a comfortable life of being a government servant to be a student. And yes, as I did happen to mention, I am a student now having brought unto myself the rigors of being one and jotting this blog.

May you have a great decade ahead and wish you a Happy New Year to start off with.

1 comment: